Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sick Little Guy

Our little Jacob is in Primary Children's Hospital. This has been a scary experience to say the least. It all started with a cold that the other 3 boys had. We did our best to keep them away from the baby, but I guess we didn't do a very good job. He has had a runny nose and cough for a few days but was eating, sleeping, peeing, pooping, smiling and cooing like normal. So we went on with our busy lives like normal toting poor Jacob along. Yesterday morning (Saturday) we got up and took Joshua and Jacob to my parent's house while we went to Justin's basketball game. Then the boys went to a ward primary activity. Then I picked up Jacob and took Ryan to his cousin Grace's birthday party. When I picked up Jacob my parents said he slept the whole 2 hours while he was there. I didn't think anything of it being he is 2 months old and he didn't sleep well the night before. While we were at the party he was very calm but awake for most the party. His Aunt Amy commented that she was surprised he wasn't startled by popping balloons. I chalked it up to him being a calm and happy baby with 3 loud older brothers. We had fun at the party and then went home. At home, I pulled him out of his car seat and started to feed him a bottle. He wasn't interested and he felt warm to me. I called Jeff who was moving stuff from our old house and told him I was concerned about the baby. He seemed like he was breathing a little hard and the he wouldn't wake up fully even though he slept most of the day. I thought I was being paranoid but just felt like he needed a doctor. We really needed to get the last of our stuff out of the house but I asked him to come home anyway. We were going to take him to AF hospital but then we decided that I would just take him down to the emergency care in Saratoga Springs while Jeff fixed dinner for the other 3 boys. I thought they were going to look at him and say "go home he's got a cold but he'll be fine in a few days". Well, that wasn't the case. By the time I drove the 5 miles to the clinic he was REALLY breathing hard and I was really worried. I took him in to a waiting room full of people and saw the sign that read "1 1/2 hour wait time". I started to check in and told the lady I was really concerned and felt something was really wrong. She took we straight back. A nurse came right in and hooked Jacob up to a pulse ox machine. He was 80%. He went and knocked on a door and pulled the doctor out. He came and listened to his chest and told me to stay calm and just listen. He said with a pulse ox so low that he needed to go to the hospital. Then he said that he needed to go with oxygen. They called down to American Fork Hospital and told them they were sending us with an oxygen tank and to expect him. The AF people told him to call an ambulance and have him transported to Primary Children's. I was a little panicked went I found out they were sending us to the AF Hospital but I was freaking out when they told me we were going to Primary's by ambulance. I called Jeff and told him to find somewhere for the boys and to meet me up there. I was a mess in the ambulance and just felt like I was going to vomit at any second. Once we were here, poor Jacob had to have an IV placed in his hand, a urine sample taken (that was the worse part for Jeff) and a lumbar puncture (that was the worst part for me). It has been terrible watching my little angel being poked and prodded. He has been a trooper and is stable on oxygen. We don't know anything yet except we will be here for at least a few days and he is not in any eminent danger. I will keep you all posted. Our number here is 801-662-3062. Please keep our little Jacob in your prayers. Thank you for all of those who are helping with the boys so Jeff can be here with the baby and I. As everyone knows, I'm not very good in these situations. Kudos to anyone who has done the Primary Children's Hospital thing. I am mostly thinking of Patti and Natalie. I have gained so much strength from you guys and am so amazed at how well you hold things together. You are such strong, wonderful women.

3 comments:

Marsie said...

I'm so sorry to hear that :( I will pray for him! I hope he gets better soon! It's so scary when the babies get so sick!

Patti Smith said...

I'm sorry you are going through this. It isn't easy to have sick babies in the hospital. You and your family are in our prayers hoping for a quick recovery and return home.

The Stoddard's said...

Oh no! It's getting everyone. We are thinking of you always. Please don't hesitate to ask me for help for anything. 404-7159